Nanci has been practicing law since 1992. She started her practice in busy litigation firms in Montpelier & Rutland, Vermont with a focus on Civil and Criminal Litigation and Family Law. She also worked at Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. representing victims of domestic violence and people with psychiatric diagnoses in mental health civil commitment proceedings. Nanci began her solo private practice in 2005 and works exclusively in the area of Family Law. She is a member of the Vermont Bar Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. She has received advanced training in and practices Collaborative Divorce and Collaborative Mediation. She is also licensed to practice law in the state of New York.
Nanci is a regular instructor for the Vermont Bar Association and the National Business Institute on Family Law matters. She is the Past-President of the Board of Trustees for Vermont Legal Aid, Inc. and Legal Services of Vermont. She is the Chair of the Vermont Bar Association Collaborative Section and a member of the Collaborative Practice Vermont, an Interdisciplinary Practice Group. Nanci has represented children as counsel or as their court appointed Guardian Ad Litem upon request of the court. She is divorced, has a lovely daughter in college and an office Maltese, named Louie.
- Juris Doctorate, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Master in the Study of Environmental Law, 1992 – VT Law School, S. Royalton, VT
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, 1988 – University of California, San Diego, CA
CLASSES, SEMINARS AND PRESENTATION
Nanci teaches seminars on Family Law practice and has been a guest lecturer with the Vermont Bar Association and the National Business Institute since 2007.
Some of her presentations have included:
- Collaborative Divorce – 2017, 2018, 2019
- Legal Ethics: Hot Topics and Current Events – June 2015
- The Use of Mental Health Experts in Family & Collaborative Law – September 2014
- Legal Ethics and Professionalism for Everyday Practice – June 2013
- Your Family Law Practice in the 21st Century – May 2011
- Divorce Law Guide From A-Z – May 2010
- Parental Rights From A-Z – January 2010
- Family Law Litigation – September 2008
- Advanced Family Law – May 2008
- Child Custody and Shared Parenting – June 2007
- Basic Collaborative and Advanced Divorce practice training 2007 to 2019
- Certificate in Negotiating, Collaborating & Leading in Today’s World, Woodstock Institute for Negotiation May 2010
- Certificate in Mediation, Champlain College, VT 2001, 2017
- What Are the Qualities of a Good Divorce Lawyer? on attorney Rebecca Zung’s website.
- How to Have a Good Divorce on Vermont Public Radio, Vermont Edition.
Nanci explains how Collaborative Divorce can help you work through divorce more easily. (February 25, 2020)
Nanci is a published contributing author in the following books and Journals:
- Collaborative Law: Practice and Procedures (MCLE, Inc. 2014); Benefits of Collaborative Law
- Understanding Collaborative Family Law (2011 Thomson Reuters / Aspatore); Empowering Clients with Collaborative Family Law
- Divorce with Dignity, Using the Collaborative Law Approach to Achieve Procedural, Substantive and Psychological Satisfaction – The Vermont Bar Journal, Spring 2016